The Jane Goodall Institute is currently seeking applicants for the following position:
Position Title: Conservation Action Plan (CAP) Project Manager
Department: JGI – Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Reports To: Executive Director, JGI DRC
Location of Employment: Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Position Summary: The CAP Project Manager will apply strong project management skills, experience and a track record of successfully managing conservation programs in challenging developing country contexts to support the implementation of the Conservation Action Plan for Great Apes in Eastern DRC. The CAP employs a range of conservation strategies to increase knowledge of and mitigate threats to great apes and their habitats.
About JGI: The Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) is a world leader in protecting chimpanzees and conserving our planet. Founded in 1977 by iconic ethologist and pioneer Dr. Jane Goodall, JGI advances the vision and work of Dr. Goodall through community-based conservation, research, education and advocacy. JGI inspires people to take action to make the world better for people, animals and the environment. The organization makes innovative use of emerging science and technology in its work in four African countries. It empowers hundreds of thousands of young people across the globe to take action through Roots & Shoots.
Support to CAP Strategy 1
• Work in close collaboration with the JGI DRC Executive Director, JGI Africa Programs Analyst and JGI Africa Programs Technical Adviser to support CAP Strategy 1 “Ensure successful implementation of the plan” with objectives being met by all partners;
• Assist the JGI Africa Programs Technical Advisor and M&E Technician to develop and implement context appropriate data collection methodologies;
• Assist the Executive Director and the JGI Africa Programs Technical Advisor to organize and manage the various coordinating mechanisms and meetings that support the CAP
• Assist the Executive Director to develop and implement annual audits and reviews of the CAP;
• Compile and quality assure reports by JGI staff in accordance with established reporting schedules for internal and external audiences including donors (government and charitable foundations) and other relevant stakeholders;
• Draft newsletter articles and other internal and external communications as required and in conjunction with JGI colleague and partner organizations;
• Work with the JGI Africa Programs Analyst and JGI DRC Executive Director to monitor and subaward partners for award compliance and progress toward agreed upon deliverables;
• Analyze and quality assure reports from the JGI DRC environmental education and M&E teams and sub-award partners funded by JGI DRC;
• Conduct site visits and periodic compliance reviews of sub-award partners to ensure contractual obligations are being met;
• Support the JGI Africa Programs Technical Advisor to ensure that technical obligations under sub-awards are being achieved and data outputs effectively communicated and shared with relevant stakeholders;
• Support the JGI DRC Executive Director to address donor and partner issues promptly, diplomatically and with discernment;
General Project Management
• Support the JGI DRC Executive Director and JGI Africa Programs Analyst to ensure timely and effective implementation of DRC conservation programs relating to the CAP;
• Coordinate implementation of grants funded by JGI that fall under the CAP
• Provide day to day supervision and coordination of the JGI DRC environmental education and M&E staff to ensure program delivery is in line with contractual obligations and conservation sector best practices;
• Work with the JGI DRC education and M&E staff to develop work plans that ensure timely and effective program delivery in collaboration with the JGI Africa Programs Analyst, JGI Africa Programs Technical Advisor and the JGI DRC Executive Director;
• Work with JGI DRC education and M&E staff to identify training needs and where appropriate lead staff training in the use of conservation tools and technologies;
• Develop an understanding of program financial processes to ensure they are in alignment and compliance with contractual obligations;
• Review financial reports to ensure that budget to variance and “burn rates” are in line with project work plans and contractual obligations;
• Develop a high degree of competence in using Miradi as a tool to monitor results in order to ensure effective implementation of planned activities and intended outcomes;
• Identify relevant tools and technologies to improve project implementation and develop work plans for training and piloting in collaboration with JGI Africa Programs colleagues.
• Assist the JGI DRC Executive Director and JGI Africa Programs staff to draft grant proposals to support the CAP;
• Other related tasks as identified by the JGI Africa Programs Analyst and DRC Executive Director inter alia.
Working in close collaboration with the JGI DRC Executive Director, JGI Africa Programs colleagues and CAP partners, the CAP Project Manager will assist the Executive Director in day to day management to support effective and on time delivery of the CAP, helping to ensure that it remains fully accountable to beneficiaries, donors, government and civil society partners.
It is anticipated that the Project Manager will travel periodically to field sites assisting JGI to monitor activities of CAP sub-award partners.
• University degree in relevant specialization – master’s degree preferred • Experience in managing grants to NGOs, including financial management • Professional French language competency desired. Excellent spoken and written English essential. • Desirable: experience using Miradi as a project management reporting and accountability tool.
The positon will be based at the JGI office in Goma with occasional travel to the field. All trips beyond Goma are only undertaken after a thorough assessment of the local security situation and carried out in line with JGI’s relevant policies on staff safety and security.
JGI’s commitment to equal employment opportunities and the value of diversity is an essential part of our business practices and principles. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at JGI will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. JGI’s employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, local, and federal laws. This employment opportunity philosophy applies to all aspects of employment with JGI including recruiting, hiring, training, transfer, promotions, job assignments, benefits, compensation, discipline, dismissal, educational assistance, and social and recreational activities.
JGI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which JGI has facilities. JGI will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, local, or national laws.
Please, submit your CV/ resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is Friday 26th August 2016.
Due to the volume of anticipated applications, only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.